Today, Km. Pratima Bhoumik, Minister of State, Ministry of social Justice and Empowerment, unveiled five transformative initiatives at the Dr. Ambedkar International Centre (DAIC). This momentous event introduced groundbreaking initiatives aimed at shaping the lives of Divyangjan, serving as a testament to the government's unwavering commitment to their holistic development and empowerment.
The initiatives launched by Km. Pratima Bhoumik encompass a wide range of transformative actions, reflecting the government's relentless pursuit of a more inclusive society. These initiatives promise to bring about lasting change and enhance the lives of persons with disabilities in India. Collectively, they reflect DEPwD's unwavering dedication to advancing disability rights and harnessing technology to improve the lives of persons with disabilities across the nation.
On this occasion, MoS Km. Pratima Bhoumik appreciated the effort and stressed that the PM DAKSH DEPwD portal shall act as a comprehensive digital platform for Persons with Disabilities seeking skill training and employment opportunities. It offers seamless registration via UDID, location-based skill training options, job listings from across India, and streamlined administrative processes. The platform is a one-stop destination wherein PwDs from across the country shall have access to jobs from various companies. This initiative aligns with the vision of PM Modi, i.e., "Sabka Sath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas, Sabka Prayas."
Aggregated data of Unique Disability Identity Cards has been released in the public domain. The data indicates UDID card issuance analysis - disability-wise, age group-wise, disability type-wise, and location-wise. The data is now available on the data.gov.in portal and UDID Portal. Shri Rajesh Aggarwal, Secretary DEPwD, emphasized that the aggregated data will be of enormous help to researchers, policymakers, analysts, rehabilitation professionals, State Government officials, NGOs, civil societies, educationists, and many more. The data is presently granulated up to the district level, and in the near future, block-level granularity will be introduced. Many NGOs, research organizations, and State governments have requested from time to time to provide an overall perspective on disability in India. The data will provide insights into all such queries from various ends
Here is an overview of DEPwD's five pioneering initiatives:
- MOU with Council of Architecture: DEPwD has joined hands with the Council of Architecture (COA) to introduce universal accessibility courses within Bachelor of Architecture programs. This collaboration extends to the development of a certified course for architects and civil engineers, equipping them with the skills to conduct accessibility audits in built environments, thereby ensuring compliance with accessibility standards.
- Releasing of Anonymous Data of UDID: DEPwD's release of anonymous data through the Unique Disability ID (UDID) portal for research purposes represents a significant leap in data-driven decision-making within the disability sector. This initiative provides invaluable insights at various levels, facilitating a deeper understanding and informing targeted interventions.
- PM Daksh Portal: DEPwD introduces the PM Daksh-DEPwD Portal, a comprehensive digital platform designed to empower Persons with Disabilities in their pursuit of skill training and employment opportunities. The portal offers seamless registration through UDID, access to location-based skill training options, a wide array of job listings from across India, and streamlined administrative processes. Km. Bhoumik lauded the platform's services, highlighting its potential to provide PwDs nationwide with job opportunities from esteemed companies like Amazon. Additionally, the Secretary, DEPwD, stated that the Department is striving to onboard 25,000 vacancies for PwDs on the PM Daksh-DEPwD portal in the near future.
- Pathways to Access: Courts on Disability Rights: DEPwD has compiled notable judgments from India's Supreme Court and High Courts concerning disability rights into a comprehensive booklet. This resource serves as a valuable reference guide for persons with disabilities and stakeholders in the disability sector.
- Online Case Monitoring Portal by CCPD: The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities (CCPD) has adopted a cutting-edge application for handling grievances filed by persons with disabilities. This initiative streamlines the entire process, making it paperless and efficient. Key features include seamless online complaint filing, automated reminders, and simplified hearing scheduling.
These initiatives underscore DEPwD's unwavering commitment to fostering inclusivity, advancing disability rights, and driving meaningful change in the lives of persons with disabilities throughout India. All officials were present at the Nalanda Hall of Dr. Ambedkar International Centre on this occasion.